How to remove old decals
Tools and materials needed:
Plastic card (old credit or gift card will do)HairdryerSoft cotton
Rags (old T-shirt)Goof off, naphtha or 3M adhesive remover (most of these are available at your local hardware or paint store).
Do Not Use Lacquer thinner! It will melt your paint.
- Set hairdryer on to hot or medium hot
- Heat up both the graphic and the glue till hot enough to remove vinyl
- Do not touch with fingers as it will burn
- Use plastic card to try to lift a corner of the decal enough to grasp
- Slowly pull the decal back against itself
- If it seems to be stretching much, stop and reheat
- Some glue will be left behind
- After surface cools, put some adhesive remover on a rag and place against surface until glue softens
- With a clean rag and more solvent, rub until clean
- Glue might also roll and come off in little pieces
- Use soap and water to clean area of solvents