About Your Decals
1) Most decals will come with a mask that aids installation
2) Wrap decals and smaller decals may not have a mask
3) Stripes, bands, and wraps are made to overlap at the back of the tube. You may want to trim them to fit before application.
4) If such a decal has a mask, remove it before the decal is completely around the tube.
5) You may also choose to leave a small gap at the back of the tube.
1) Wait at least 2 weeks after painting bike to apply decals. Paint that is not fully dried and cured will outgas, which may cause permanent bubbles in your decals.
2) Be sure frame is clean and dry
3) Do not use soap or other cleaners with lotions or oils on the frame. These will leave a residue that will hinder adhesion of the decals.
4) Dry surface with lint-free cotton cloth or quality paper towel
1) Clean Hands 2)New quart size spray bottle 3)Tray or plate 4)Small, stiff squeegee (credit card can substitute)
5)Wetting agent: Fill spray bottle with water; add 1-2 drops Dawn liquid soap (or other soap without oils)
6) Blue masking tape 7)Very dull pencil
Wet Application Instructions
1)Place a piece of blue masking tape just above and below area on frame that will receive the decal. Using the dull pencil, mark the center of the tube and the center of the decal (on the mask). These marks will help you line up the decal.
2) Place the decal face down on the tray and carefully peal the backing paper away from the decal, exposing the adhesive surface (A)
3) Spray adhesive side generously with the wetting solution (B); Also spray the section on the frame between the masking tape (C)
4) Position decal on frame using the marks on the blue masking tape and the decal mask to align (D). Decal can be lifted and repositioned as long as both surfaces stay wet
5)When positioned correctly, use squeegee to remove the wetting solution and any bubbles, applying pressure from the center and working outward. Repeat to secure decal (E). If decal lifts up around the edges of the mask, wait 1-2 minutes and squeegee again.
6) Wait 30-60 minutes. Weather affects drying time which may exceed 60 minutes. Adhesive reaches optimal tack at around 24 hrs.
7)With squeegee in hand (in case decal lifts), start at a corner, carefully pull mask at a 45 degree angle to remove decal (F)
8) If bubbles form, use a fine pin to remove. Prick the edge of the bubble and press the air out toward the hole.
1) Clear coat is optional for all Velocals vinyl decals, and will prolong the life of those not otherwise protected.
2) Do not use lacquer-based clear. It will damage the decals and/or adhesive
3) Wait at least 24 hours before clear coating your decals
4) Use Dupli-Color clear acrylic enamel spray, or professionally applied 2-part acrylic urethane automotive clear
5) Because the solvents in acrylic enamel clear are aggressive, it is necessary to apply several very light coats, one coat at a time, allowing 10 minutes between coats. Read instruction on product label
6) After several light coats, wait 10 minutes and apply final medium coat of clear. If an additional coat is desired, wait 7 days.
All prices are in USD